Saturday, October 23, 2010

K-pop Part 3 (and some other songs)

I'm going to take a break from posting my vacation pictures to bring you the next edition of K-pop (and other songs)!

One song Yelena and I have really been loving lately is by a K-pop/hip hop group called DJ DOC. The song is called "I'm a Guy Like This." I can't get enough of this video because it's so funny and nonsensical. You'll see things like guys dressed up in "sexy" marching band uniforms, or these 2 guy dancers dancing with their long hair tied up... it is very strange. But I love the song. I've heard it so much I know how to sing the bridge and the chorus of the song (though I'm not exactly sure what I'm saying). I first heard this song in a Subway sandwiches store, and I asked the woman working there who speaks English who sang it because I liked it so much.

DJ DOC "I'm a Guy Like This"


The next song is by a hip hop group called Supreme Team. I just learned about this song a week ago when it played in the club Yelena and I frequent every weekend. I don't really have much to say about this song, but I just find Koreans who try to be all hip hop like they do in America funny. Honestly, they don't really pull off ghetto well here. But it's adorable. I also find it funny that the cute guy in Supreme Team has such a low voice. I was not expecting that.

Supreme Team "Super Magic"


There was a song that I couldn't find for 1 month, and that was Secret's "Magic." I kept hearing it everywhere, but for the life of me I couldn't find it based on the words I heard of the song when I plugged it into a Google search. Finally one day, when Yelena and I were in Myeong-dong (a major shopping area in Seoul), I heard it in a store that we passed, and I went in and asked the employee with charades who was singing the song. They told Me Secret, so I plugged that into youtube, and voila! Found it! I also realized why I had such a difficult time finding it. They say the word "magic" in the song, but they don't pronounce it the way it should be pronounced. It sounds like they say "mazzy" or some word that sounds strange, but definitely NOT "magic." Oh well. Here it is:

Secret "Magic"


This last K-pop song is by Lee Hyori (note that "Lee" is her family name, since in Asia family names tend to come first) called "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." This video is interesting because I see a lot of similarities between it and DJ DOC's video (like the shake it dance, or the dancing in front of Mercedes trucks... although that could just be how they roll in Korea). The album that has this song had some controversy because it was found out that a lot of songs were ripped from other people. Well, regardless, I like the song, so enjoy:

Lee Hyori "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

---------------------------------------------------------

Now, on to the non K-pop songs. Yelena and I really like this Persian singer called Arash. He actually grew up and still lives in Sweden, but sings in Farsi (mostly). Arash is the singer of that soccer song "Iran Iran" I posted about months ago. Yelena and I are kind of in love with him. He sings a song called "Always" with a singer from Azerbaijan called AySel. It was a collaboration that was submitted for the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest as the Azerbaijani entry. It got 3rd place, and remains Azerbaijan's highest ranked song in the contest to date, and it marks the first time Azerbaijan got to the top three. Here it is:

Arash and AySel "Always"


Another Arash song Yelena and I love is called "Temptation." However, there are 2 versions of this. There is the Farsi/English version where Arash sings in Farsi, but has fellow Swedish singer Rebecca Zadig sing the chorus in English. The second is Arash singing in Russian with Russian singers. Yelena (being Russian) favors the Russian version. Apparently the Russian one was a big hit on the Russian charts. So basically, Arash gets around if you know what I mean hahaha

You'll notice there's a huge difference between Rebecca and the Russian singers once you see them...

Arash and Rebecca Zadig "Temptation"

Arash and Blestyashchie "Vostochnyie Skazki"


-AALA

No comments:

Post a Comment